Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Strikes!
Well, in typical French fashion, we decided to go on strike! A blogging strike to be exact! We're demanding that people leave comments, interact and show that they are reading our random rambles!
It seems like most days, there is a strike of some sort happening here...a train strike, a milk producers strike, an educators strike...a farmers strike... Since I read French at a pre-K level and understand it worse than any French border collie, I'm not exactly sure what is going on, or why the people are striking, but it is an impressive display of social organization and determination. I love the photo above of a current farmers strike where they have descended in mass on the highways leading to Paris.
Given the way I've seen French people drive, I can just imagine a 20 mile line of pissed off commuters, all tailgating each other with 5 inches of space between themselves and the car in front of them...looking for that sketchy passing window where they might be able to slip one car length closer to the head of an endless line of traffic. Oh! What a sight!
Ironically though, Steph claims that the crusty French commuters would not be angered by the strikers, but rather by the fact that they are now in a 20 mile long parking lot (which just happens to be sprinkled with cow manure and mud clods from a random horde of tractors). There seems to be a logical disjunct somewhere in the equation that I don't quite understand yet, but perhaps I will when I get to Lassie's comprehension level of French.
Anyway, we have more pics and stories to post later if anyone cares or reads this...let us know if we should continue to post or just stockpile all of our footage for a later point and time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm reading this b-log!
ReplyDeleteI just don't know if anyone else knows it exists?
Where are pics of the house?
Ben
I'm reading! Keep it comin'
ReplyDeleteLove and miss
Holly
I'm reading it too. That is, I have been reading the same thing over and over, and...
ReplyDeleteYou are going to be such a good Frenchman very soon Cam! Stephanie is going to have to catch up to you.
Your mother in law, Monique
keep 'em coming.
ReplyDeleteKeep on chugging along with the blog, Cam!... much like those tractors that chugged along the expressways all the way to Parisian boulevards. Remember the farmers supply a bunch of raw material for the baguette, which I'm sure you've converted to at this point!
ReplyDeleteMy best - Charles
This is one my favorite rambles to date! And yes, I'm reading. Sporadically and haphazardly, but you'd expect nothing else from me ;-)...keep writing and chronicling your adventures in the land called Europe...
ReplyDeleteI'm reading too! You guys provide me another wonderful chance to procrastinate during finals week. Thank you!
ReplyDelete- MK