Onions and Shallots from the garden

Friday, April 30, 2010

This should spike reader interest

WARNING!
(To American Viewers)
Do not view this post if you are in a "public" venue, such as work, school, a day care, Catholic nunnery, or a similar place.   Close this tab immediately, go back to whatever mundane task you are procrastinating on, then come back when you are in the privacy of your home.  The following content is considered to be inappropriate by American public media standards and could get you fired, put on suspension, investigated by Big Brother and/or scoffed at by spying Nuns.  We are not responsible if you get fired for surfing at work.  If you are willing to accept these risks...Read on.



*** The following commentary is based on stereotypes, so feel free to chime in with any corrections or alternate points of view.***

It's funny how culture shapes your perception of the world in ways that you never realize.  Like this for example...I went searching for another jar of Nutella the other day and was just ambling (I can do that here now, since I actually have time in the day) past a magazine store, when this magazine cover jumped out at me.

Obviously, the supermodel in funky clothes, with the spaced out/stoned look isn't abnormal, yet NEVER in America would you find this in plain view next to a supermarket.  In a rare fit of Puritanical shame and uneasiness, I looked around to see if there were any kids around who might be gawking at the cover as well.  There were kids...  However, rather than gawking, they simply continued past my bewildered state and entered the supermarket, along with the rest of the people on a random Wednesday afternoon. 

I am by no means suggesting that people don't gawk at half naked supermodels in magazine stores...they obviously do, otherwise the pictures wouldn't appear on the covers.  However, the interesting differences the image raises are in regard to sexuality and what society defines as acceptable and unacceptable etiquette.

In the States, it is generally accepted and promoted that displays of sexuality are confined to the private sphere of life (or a select number of predetermined situations) where the consumption of images is regulated and perpetuated by an entity (which is given either implicit or explicit control over the media through a variety of means).  For example, news, magazines, public television, mainstream movies, and the internet to a limited degree (obviously excluding the porn industry) are all censored on various levels by an official organization because the perpetuation of sexually explicit images has been determined to be negative to society (supposedly according to our cultural values and beliefs).  As a result, it is extremely uncommon to see images of nudity in the most accessible channels of media such as newspapers, front shelf magazines, public television, etc.

Here, in France, things seem to be slightly different (with various implications by extension) yet a variety of similarities still persist.  Semi-nude or nude images (of both men and women) are far more frequent in the media, including on public television, but the images don't seem to be portrayed as always sexual or erotic.  Rather, the images seem to be displayed as a mix of provocation and art, or as an extension of life in the reality that it actually exists...where people take showers without it leading to having sex in the shower...

In general, based on our limited experience here, the consumption of images appears to be different from the States in that its end goal is not always eroticism (although it obviously still is in some cases, as with the image above).  In many ways, this is a refreshing point of view because it allows for a more profound portrail of the human experience, yet I'm sure that this more liberal display of sexuality is also subject to regulation and perpetuation, albeit simply on a different level than that of the States.

Whether or not directly correlated to images of sexuality, the public display of sexuality and affection in France is an interesting cultural identifier.  Most Americans think of French culture and think of three things: French Fries, French Kissing, and nude beaches.  Everyone loves French fries, so there's nothing to discuss there, but french kissing and nude beaches are two symbols of French culture that exhibit some interesting stereotypes and cultural paradoxes.  I have yet to visit a French nude beach, so can't talk much about that, but I've gotten to see a fair amount of french kissing since we got here and have a few observations.

Observation #1:  It is culturally acceptable to display affection in public.  This is contrary to the anti-PDA (Public Display of Affection) rules which are explicitly enforced in primary and secondary schools in the US, and are later implicitly applied to adults within the greater American society.  Here, it is common to see couples kissing, making out, and groping in public.  The stereotype that France (especially Paris) is "Romantic" likely came from an outsider's perception of these displays of affection (in my opinion).  In many ways, it seems that the "French Kiss" is the embodiment of this stereotype.

Observation #2: It is not culturally acceptable to openly "watch" people displaying affection in public.  If you are in a public place, like a restaurant for example, and the couple next to you is babbling "sweet nothings" and playing tonsil hockey ("French" kissing for any French people who might have miraculously made it this far into my ramble), you may not directly look at them.  If you do, you will be greeted with unpleasant glares.

This is where the interesting cultural paradox appears between what is defined as public space and what is private space (especially in regard to the consumption of images).  In the US, images and actions that are presented in the public space (broadly defined here as anything "public", like TV, news, etc.) are intended to be consumed by anyone and everyone.  People who view public media have expectations regarding the content that will be made available, and the producers of the media comply with a predetermined formula based on what is deemed acceptable and what is not.  For example, PBS (does anyone even watch this anymore?) provides programs to an audience of all ages and demographics.  People who view PBS know that they will never see any nudity, hear any cursing, and have a general understanding that they will probably be bored out of their minds with Bob Ross' "pretty little trees".  Viewers who are looking for nudity, vulgarity and action buy HBO or Cinemax.



Thus, in the US, public spaces seem to be structured such that a viewer is never going to be surprised by content.  It would be like if there was a late night Bob Ross Uncensored show.  One where he screwed up one of his pretty little trees and was like, "WTF!  Dammit Janet! This new paint blows donkey balls...I just spilled some on my shoes.  Take off your blouse and clean this up for me will you?  ...And while you're down there..."

Obviously I'm not the first person to poke a little fun at Bob Ross...here are a few other funny ones to rest your brain from my useless rambling:





In my opinion, viewer expectations of what they are going to get are very clearly defined in most public media.  For America, sexuality in the public sphere means no partial or full nudity (in any way) and actions displaying sexually provocative material are restrained to very censored scenes that portray private spaces.  Getting back the point....In the US, it seems that when people are in public places, they have a similar expectation about what they are going to view, and by extension, how they themselves are going to act as a result.  Private spaces are generally where sexuality, vulgarity and all the other suppressed elements of society are acceptable to view and partake in.     

In France, there seems to be a mingling of public and private spaces (that perhaps exists in the States as well, but to a much lesser degree regarding the proliferation of sexually explicit images and actions by extension).  There may be expectations and regulations regarding what images are made available in the public sphere, but it is certainly more liberal that the States (in terms of both sexual content and language).  However, beyond the obvious differences in standards between what is acceptable and what is not, France seems to have an interesting society where private spaces exist within the public spaces on a much more pronounced level.

For Americans, this mix of public and private spaces creates one of the most culturally confusing paradoxes, where it is a complete mystery why images of nudity are promoted liberally on newstands and public television, yet it is a total taboo to view people displaying affection in public (the embodiment of the sexuality that the images seems to convey & propogate).

I must confess...I'm confused by the delineation of public and private spaces here as well.

10 comments:

  1. So have you and Steph done any experimenting with making out in public? Have the social norms created an atmosphere where you feel more comfortable (or even encouraged) to openly display affection... and would you consider this a benefit of your current geological address?

    You're getting pretty observant in your old age, btw ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hardcore make out in public???? No way...we gotta represent our American roots over here! ;) Besides, if we were making out then we couldn't pretend not to watch other people make out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cam,

    As a French person I will give myself a right to answer (with my great English language skills :S, sorry in advance etc…). Don’t get it wrong: I enjoy reading your comments, even if it’s much more meant to be read by Americans. I think the two of you should write a book.

    OK, here I go.

    First thing that came to my mind reading your post: “How the hell can someone write such a long text about a breast pictured in a FASHION magazine, meant to display that kind of things ?”. It leaves me in total bewilderment.
    Looking at that picture the only thing I see is a beautiful dress, and a little wink about sex, just enough to cath eye. Well, I think we agree about the cultural difference…

    Then I just have a few precisions to add, as far as I know something about French culture, and as far as anyone can say “it’s like that”.

    About the kissing in public.
    For those who practice public kissing, my point is that they bring with them there “privacy bubble”. The ones kissing don’t care to be watched as long as you’re far enough not to get in the bubble. I mean If you Cam see a couple kissing on a bench, they won’t care at all. If it’s the table beside yours in a restaurant, indeed you can’t watch them kiss, but neither can you watch what they have in their plates and make comments out loud…
    Another point : Mostly French people don’t kiss in public. It’s just that those who do are more obvious (obviously). It’s a question of age and “level” of passion.

    About the French kiss :
    I’ve never understood what was the big deal about that, so I will make no comment, it would take forever. We will talk about that one day.

    About nude beaches :
    I’d like to be there when you will see one for your own for the first time… It’s mostly old people displaying their wrinkled-once-hard… buttocks. You would be very disappointed.

    About TV stuff : so little time, so many things to say...

    I’m looking forward to have this conversation with you.

    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait... you and Cam still make out?! It seems like you were married at least two years ago. What gives?

    Oh - I loved reading your master's thesis on American sexual conservatism. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Marion!

    Thanks so much for commenting. It is nice to get a little French perspective on here!

    In response to your points:

    I chose to use the image above less for its representation of sexuality and more for its placement in what Americans would typically define as "public" space. While images of provocative sexuality are rampant in our culture, it is extremely rare to find one that actually displays nudity of any sort. In fact, graphic designers in America go to great length to airbrush out nipples (to the point of being absurd) for images that appear in "public" spaces.

    While this photo was a single example (and you're absolutely correct in affirming that fashion magazines are not representative of culture), I find similar images fairly common in French mainstream media and marketing. In fact, today, we were at Carrefour and were walking past an eyeglass store. Proudly displayed in the front window was a picture of a woman, with huge cleavage and nipple showing. Only after stopping to laugh amusingly at how funny she looked while combing some dude's hair (who was barely visible in the bottom of the photo I might add), did we realize that it was actually an advertisement for men's eyeglasses which were hardly noticeable and only very intangibly tied to the message of the photo.

    In the time it's taken me to write this much, I've also seen several commercials on public television advertising things from face soap to fruit cups that display more nudity than would be allowed in "public" space in the states.

    I'm certainly not criticizing French use of sexuality in media, I was hoping to merely note the difference between what the US and France delineate as "public" and appropriate, as it is one of the things that I believe leads to stereotyping and misunderstanding across cultures.

    I definitely agree that there is a "privacy bubble" here that people abide by, which is also somewhat contrary to the US, where people in public are generally expected to act in a manner that doesn't mix the public and private spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Part 2...too much blabbing for the comment form :)

    Regarding the idea that French people don't kiss much in public, I would have to wholeheartedly disagree! Kissing in public is one of the most important, fundamental and known cultural elements of french society...French people kiss all the time...when you see a friend, you kiss them, when you meet a friends friend, you kiss them, when you like someone, you kiss them, when you really like someone, you kiss them a lot in restaurants, on park benches, on buses, when you leave a group of 20 people, you kiss them...ALL of them... Lots of kissing in French Society!

    I'm not saying it's bad...I've almost kissed more women strangers on the mouth since I got here 3 months ago than I have in my whole life, but kissing is another cultural divide between Americans and French. (I wish I would have come here in high school!)

    The bise and the way lovers kiss is obviously differentiated in French society, but this differentiation is one of the things that many Americans struggle greatly with. Speaking in generalizations, Americans find kissing to be an element of the private sphere, which (especially when coupled with our concept of personal space) should not be a part of the public sphere. Granted, kissing among family relatives is not uncommon, however, the practice VERY rarely extends beyond the limits of kin.

    The irony of American culture is that we find it totally acceptable to hug people of the opposite sex (who we know relatively well for the most part), an action that is inherently intimate in itself (and one that breaks our personal space bubble). Hugging among men is less common, but acceptable among men who are good friends (similar in the way that the bise is expressed in French culture among men).

    Perhaps the American custom of hugging is similarly confounding for French people?

    Can't wait to see you guys again to chat about French Kissing and nude beaches! You'll have to come down again after the garden is planted...the serre is working great and I have it stuffed full of plants right now. Thanks for all the help with that. :)

    Cam

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Craig: I only let Steph make out with me if she can catch me!

    Which is usually in public these days, since I'm too scared of talking to someone to let go of her skirt! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cam,
    I just got through your answer, and only read it once, so this is the first things that came to my mind, sorry if I miss the point.

    You kissed on the mouth women you didn't know ...!!! "Berk", even I wouldn't do that. The only persons I kiss on the mouth are women of my family (and it happens once every ten years or so... ;)).


    About the hugs : It was definitely a big issue for me to hug even my american cousins. It definitely is something disturbing for me. Well, to be honest, I especially had problems hugging the one with very big muscles everywhere. I could feel his breast... berk berk berk.
    Funny thing, today I hugged my brother for the first time ever. But indeed we kiss hello each time we see each other.

    Funny thing 2 : to kiss translates as "embrasser", which means to take in the arms...

    thing to talk about next time : there is kiss and kiss.

    I'm glad to know your garden is doing fine, my raddishes didn't do anything good. snif

    Bises

    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  9. i didn't really read anything in here, but OMG DID YOU SEE THE BOOB????!!!!!

    AWESOME!
    --america

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for commenting about french kissing in public, the lustful, romantic kind.

    I wonder why the lovers would be angry with those watching, as the lovers happen to be intelligent and know they are in public? Wouldn't someone think that the lovers actually did want to be seen?

    I think I would answer the angry glares from others with "hey don't do their responding for the couple. If they don't like it, then they should tell me not to look their public kissing."

    ReplyDelete